Monday 9 September 2013

Fibromyalgia awareness week

So this is my first ever blog post, yay me!
Hello :) 
I am a happy little 19 year old who's life has been shaken up thanks to the marvel of Fibromyalgia. This blog is an aim to give the people who know me an insight into how I'm feeling, and hopefully to give support to other sufferers. Reading about fellow Fibro's experiences have been a massive help for me, I thought it would be nice to give some of that back. 
I don't by any means know all about this illness, but I do know how I feel and how my body is effected. I think it is important for all Fibro's to understand themselves and not let anyone tell them any different. The worst feeling in the world is knowing you're not well and being told you're fine. I am incredibly lucky to have such a supporting fiance and family. Not once have they ever doubted me, they have all been there at every battle with doctors. 
After seeing 20 GPs/rheumatologists/neurologists, I found my current GP. She is an angel. Before I found her I had completely lost trust in the health system. I felt like I had slipped through every net possible. Since my first appointment with my current GP where I explained that 7 months of being told I'm 'fine' was enough, she was so determined to get sh*t done! And she has. 4 months later I got my diagnosis. That was two weeks ago now. And even though for the past 6 months I knew that was what I was going to be diagnosed with, somehow it still shocked me. I think its the uncertainty that did it. It's the not knowing if I'll get better, how bad it will get, how it will effect me when I'm older. 
No way is this the worst illness anyone could get but it still sucks so I'm allowed to be dramatic. BF (before Fibro) I was quite happily studying Creative Writing at university and working weekends in a shop but Fibro has taken that away from me. I made the decision to leave university 6 months ago as the fatigue wouldn't allow me to last a 4 hour workshop or an hours lecture with some lecturers (if anyone from uni does read this, yeah we are on the same wave length!) and due to the majority of my pain being in both my legs the half hour walk to campus was near impossible. I still work weekends because I refuse to have my whole life taken away from me but that's all I do at the moment. the rest of the week I am a very proud housewife. No one ever mentions the strain a long term illness takes on finance, not to me anyway. So I make sure my hard working man has love in his heart and food in his belly every day. He has incredible patience (more than me!) and takes such good care of me it's only fair :). BF, I was very much a clean freak, I still am now but it is difficult when I have a really rough day to do all the chores so I have a little rota of what jobs need doing on what day. I can't always stick to it and I get very upset when I don't but I try my best and if my body is telling me "today is a day we must rest!" then that's what I do. I'm not lazy, I'm poorly.
Anyway that's my brief up-to-now. I have been considering starting a blog for a while but it's been difficult finding the strength physically and mentally. (My fingers are hurting from typing just this! no way could I have finished a creative writing degree!) Being diagnosed with an illness that was a battle to be diagnosed with really takes its toll on mental well-being. Being stuck in the house alone most of the time doesn't help that either. I hope this blog will keep me occupied and help others in the process. If it doesn't work however, "Daddy I want a piano".
Keep smiling everyone :)

XX

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. Keep it up. I know right now it seems like Fibro has stripped everything away from you, just hold on tight to what you can and let the things that aren't important slip away. If you can manage one class a semester then go for it, if you can't then don't. Take some time to get to know your body and learn what you can handle.

    ReplyDelete